Thursday, February 10, 2011

So I'm Shaving My Head...

...all because of a Dare! Its on my list of things to do before I turn 30, so I figure why not do it for a good cause or two!

I spent six months in Swaziland (Southern Africa) and developed a heart for people affected by HIV/AIDS. So, I'm taking on A Dare to Remember for the Stephen Lewis Foundation. I have set a personal fundraising goal of $3000 and am asking you to sponsor me. The money raised will go directly to support the inspiring transformation in sub-Saharan Africa, where community-based organizations are working to turn the tide of AIDS.
To make a donation, please go to A Dare to Remember  It will make such a difference to the incredible African women and men who rise to meet the challenges of the pandemic with extraordinary acts of courage, ingenuity, determination, and strength in their communities.

I'll also be raising funds for luvHAITI a partnership my church Deep Water has with the people of Haiti. I've also set a fundraising goal of $3000. The money will go towards community development in the town of Fontina on the island of La Gonave. This was one of the options in our recent  luvHAITI Christmas Catalogue:
Your donations will help improve the living conditions for the whole community: new wells will be dug and old ones repaired to provide life-saving clean drinking water; leaders within the community will be taught how to compost and care for the land to provide extra food; and the local school will receive supplies to aid in the education of all members of the community. 
To make a donation, please make cheques out to Deep Water Church and mail it toDeep Water Church, 1474 Brenton Street, Unit 1, Halifax, NS B3J 2K7 (Please include a note with your name, address and that the funds are for Fontina Community Development - Heidi's Head Shaving)  

The plan is to say goodbye to my hair in just 17 days. So please dig deep and give now.


Siyabonga, (Thank you in siSwati/Zulu)
Heidi


So just as recap, the goal is:
  3000 Stephen Lewis Foundation
+3000 luvHAITI
  6000 total
(You may choose to give to one cause or both)

1 comment:

  1. I will try to make a small donation. These are very good causes, and your dare is comical. Anyways hope all is going well with you Heidi. I'm at www.lightsavour.blogspot.com this is David Manicom btw. ;) good luck, but we dont need luck do we? May the goodness of God be with you!

    ReplyDelete